On the topic of gearing, I recently went from a wide range double to a
triple and find it to be an improvement in one important way.  On the
double I had the total range I needed (46-30 front, 12-30 or so, generally
enough for most east bay hills).  But I found that I was cross-chaining on
the gears that I find myself in most often (those gears were mostly in the
big-big range or small-small range).  I converted to a triple with a 40
chaining up front (48-40-28), and my favorite cruising gears are now in the
middle of the sprocket (I’m guessing 16-20 range) on the 40t chainring.

All this to say, next time you’re on the hilly type of ride that you want
this new bike for (on your current bike), think about what gears you’re in
and how you might want to change them.  Do you want a lower low end?
 Higher high?  And what is the middle gear range that you find yourself
riding most of the time?  That could help make your decision on a triple
(which, as you know, is a little heavier and a little more complicated due
to having to shift across 3 rather than 2 chainrings, both in the mechansm
and in your riding habit).

Greg