Sean, I will second Sarah's sentiments about the Platy.  I have owned both
and found the Platy to be responsive, agile, stable and an utter a joy to
ride, not to mention handsome candy for mine eye. I'm tall and so both
bikes turned out to be too low a stack height for me, to my great
disappointment.
The Clem feels more utilitarian to my riding sensibilities. Having said
that, I think you might want to consider how much does the quality of the
ride really matter to your sweetheart, and I'll use my better-half by way
of example. She is not at all a connoisseur of these marvelous machines and
would be equally happy with the ride of either bike, and would most
certainly be upset with me for buying her the pricier steed if the more
budget one was available.  Having said that, it would be awfully hard for
me personally to NOT buy her the Platy.
Don't know if this helps or clouds the process, but good luck with your
decision.
Al in VA