on 6/18/10 7:25 PM, Bridgestone at alancr...@mac.com wrote:

> I love the idea of a 100% wool sock, but I don't know how practical
> that is. Has anyone tried the Kangaroo Socks from Rivendell? Or do you
> have another source for great socks?

I think the last 100% wool sock which was commercially made was the Wigwam
Berber. Even then, I suspect and/or half-recollect it was a 95% wool, but
don't have any and it's been a few years (wow...more than a few years.) .
They were thick, beastly things - definitely not merino.

Most manufacturers use a percentage of nylon to help them keep shape and not
stretch out.  Everyone _used_ to have at least one which had a high wool
content.  Now, even Filson uses only 64% and 53% merino on their "Merino"
crew socks in midweight and lightweight models, respectively.

Once upon a time, Filson breifly made a low cut wool sock which I bought a
dozen of.  Despite the unfortunate blantant logo placement choice, they have
worked nicely.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclofiend/318360376

The only sock I've been impressed with of late came in the form of a company
called "Darn Tough".  They sent me a sample a while back - a thick,
winterish weight - but they do list low cut socks, are made in Vermont and
seem to be in the 60-70% merino range.

http://www.darntough.com/

Look around to try to find a fabric weight which works for you. There are
definitely differences in the density, in addition to the blend of the
material.

The Kangaroo socks which Riv sells are a good weight for me. I really don't
find wool to be a warm fabric for moving around in, and I expect you'll find
that they have less odor.  You might also investigate the shoes, and see if
that's one of the culprits as well.

best o luck!

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"There were messengers who named their bikes, but Chevette never would have
done that, and somehow because she did think about it like it was something
alive."

William Gibson - "Virtual Light"