I threw in a nice Bottom Bracket on the TA Carmina simply because
earlier in this thread we were comparing the Sugino OX80ID which comes
with a bottom bracket.  When I guessed out of thin air that the OX80ID
would probably cost more than $500, bfd said that would price them out
of the market.  I was just pointing out that some people would and do
spend $700 for a crank system that is not carbon.  I am not currently
in the market for parts in that price tier, either, so $500 would
price me out of the market, too.

My ideal would be for the $115 XD2 or the Mighty Tour to just come in
a 94/58 configuration.  I could experiment with a lot of things with
that foundation.  I see no technical advantage for compact doubles to
have chosen the 110/74 format over the 94/58.  Both are well
established standards.  You can find rings for both easily.  94/58 is
obviously superior if you want to run a compact double for off-road or
loaded riding.  I sincerely doubt there is any significant difference
in stiffness or weight.  110/74 probably 'won' just on looks or some
other whim.  It's particularly frustrating to me since Sugino used to
make 94/58 cranks.  I have two sets of Sugino/Ritcheys and they are
nearly the perfect crankset for me.  I'd really love to get a set of
the old Sugino Mighty 9000 from ~1995.  Those things were sweet!