On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 20:44, cyclotourist <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I think that sounds like the perfect tire, how many non touring or
> hybrid bikers are out there that can accommodate that size?  Even among
> Rivendell's lineup, the lighter weight bikes (Roadeo, Rambouillet) wouldn't
> be able to run that size.  You would need to get a Sam or an Atlantis.  Not
> sure about the AHH, but it would be close, and probably not with fenders.

If somebody did come out with a really nice 700c x 38mm tire similar
to a Pari-Moto or Hetre, there would be plenty of interest in it, and
lots of people would want their (larger-sized) Rivendells to
accommodate it, I suspect. There are many existing Rivendells that
won't fit such a tire, but if the tire existed, I think that designers
like Rivendell would be compelled to design around it.

I ordered a pair of 700x37mm non-TG Paselas for the build I'm
currently working on, and expect they will be pretty good, so the
situation isn't totally dire for us poor saps who have to use 700c.

Incidentally, this bike I'm putting together is the one I would use
for an epic fire road venture up into the Santa Ana Mountains, and I
hope I can do that ride this autumn.

James Black
Los Angeles, CA