2 centimeters, 4/5 of an inch? That's quite a bit. Did anyone ever
offer observation to you that your hips were rocking when you
pedaled?

The other rule of foot-length is that heels just touching the pedals
when the leg is fully extended implies the "right" bend at the knee
when the distance from heel to place-of-foot over pedal is added. That
said, common advice is that for many riders,  moving cleats a bit
behind the ball of the foot instead of under them is a better, if not
most powerful position. That would imply a lower saddle, but just
several mm. lower.