On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 17:24 -0700, Lynne Fitz wrote:

> I still commute on Bleriot.  In a few days the light will come on and
> stay on.  And I'm happy it is there.  Completely reliable.  I do not
> expect it to EVER fail.  The beauty of a generator light is that you
> never have to "ration" turning it on.  Ever.

And you never ever have to remember to charge it, or keep track of when
it's time to recharge.  I used to get 3 trips on a recharge of the
NiteRider battery, which over time became 2 1/2 trips - hence the
resonance with your comment about "rationing".

The worst part of my commute was 1 1/2 miles from the end, where the
bike trail goes under the bridges on the GW Parkway, the railroad line
and Rt 1.  There are lights, but there were several years when they
weren't working, and at night under those bridges with rip-rap on one
side of a narrow bike path and the guard rail and the Four Mile Run on
the other side, it's dark as the inside of your pocket and a certain
crash if you misjudge.  I dreaded having the light go dim down there,
and it happened more than once.

I love generator lights.