I like BMX pedals, too, and have converted all of my bikes over to 'em
- mainly because of foot pain issues, though, associated with cleated
shoes.  But as far as quality is concerned (and maybe Jim over at
Hiawatha can jump in here to confirm) BMX pedals are all across the
board.  Cheaper ones do have cheap and rougher feeling bearings.  But
you can pay over a hundred dollars for some that are very light
weight, made from alloy, with much more refined bearings - and with
smaller, less protruding pins, too.