On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 13:39 -0700, Patrick in VT wrote:
> On Mar 24, 3:19 pm, William <tapebu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure lots of folks feel the VO is 'just as good' as the Berthoud
> > for less than 1/3 the price, just like lots of folks feel that a Surly
> > LHT is just as good as a Rivendell Atlantis.
>
> i hear 'ya - but the Riv/Surly thing is kind of a false comparison.
> the Berthoud/VO decaleurs are completely different designs.
>
> at the end of the day, a decaleur is simply a bag mount - it just
> needs to hold the bag in place.  the "plug" style decaleur  is more
> than adequate in that respect and it's (i) more convenient to use (in
> general, and especially if one uses the bag on multiple bikes); (ii)
> less obtrusive when a bag isn't mounted; and (iii) in the case of the
> VO decaleur, easy to install and able to be custom fit to a certain
> extent.

All that is true -- but for me, the big question is what type of headset
does the bike have.  I like the VO threadless decaleur.  It's widely
available, inexpensive, and it works great.  The only alternatives for
threadless are either custom decaleurs (including DIY) or a custom
modification of the Berthoud.

But to me, the VO design for threaded is not nearly as attractive, or as
adaptable as the Berthoud.  Yes, the Berthoud costs more, but for me,
for traditional stems the Berthoud is the better answer -- even if it is
a bit fiddly to mount the bag.