Yesterday I set out on my Roadeo for a planned century ride up into the
mountains north of Ventura.  The ride was cut short due to a mechanical with
the freewheel.  Of course I was about 40 miles away from and 4000 feet above
home with zero cell coverage for miles.  This is when what would have only
previously been a thought experiment turned real.  Jack Brown greens 70lbs
in front 80 in the rear with about a 260 bike, rider and gear load.  The
goal was to get home without having to call for a ride.  No forward help
from the drive train and only my walking or kicking feet to keep things
moving.

Details here:
http://oceanaircycles.com/2011/06/05/metric-cross-training-ride/
and
http://wp.me/p19mfs-p2

I kept the average speed home above 9mph, and was able to coast on slopes I
previously thought were flat.  I can only imagine the average speeds I could
have attained if I had tires of even lower rolling resistance.

Anybody up for a really long distance soap box derby with different tires?
This could be an interesting experiment if repeated with different tires or
run with a group.

--
Rob Perks
oceanaircycles.com