"I feel your pain". I had two IRD freewheels fail within a few hundred
miles. Both from the same source. But after that, I've had one that's
gone well over 1,000 miles without a problem. Not saying that's a
lot... just that it is obviously different than my experience with the
others. So I'm comfortable with the one I'm using now.

Just so you know, though.... for me, neither failed suddenly or even
completely. They just started engaging later than they should have,
missing at least one or two opportunities (probably more; I just know
they didn't engage as they had been when first mounted). On the first
freewheel I kept using it until one time it let me spin the pedals a
few times round before it finally engaged. Then I switched to a
different one. Very soon thereafter that second freewheel failed to
engage properly as I was launching to cross a street with bi-
directional oncoming traffic. It was un-unerving enough that I
switched that one out as soon as I got home (about a mile away).

I've kept both on the theory that there's life in them there cogs and
I may be able to transplant them to a proven freewheel body at some
point. Is it reasonable to think that a *well-built* freewheel
mechanism would outlast at least some of the cogs? Those bearings
don't really "bear" a lot. And who knows... even the spacers may be
useful.

Personally, I'm operating under the belief that the M3 IRD freewheels
suffer(ed?) from quality control issues and not necessarily from a
fundamentally flawed design. While it seems apparent there have been
many many more failures than I would like, it also seems that some
people have uniformly good experiences (however rare those may be). So
I'm comfortable with the one I have now. For now. If it does fail
similarly to the others, I'm going to have to find a way to use some
other brand. I tried one of the Shimanopore freewheels from RBW, but
it didn't fit properly in my drivetrain. It looked like the Harris
Cyclery website's suggestion of a spacing washer might make it work
just fine. But I'm not going to bother to find out until I have a
problem again.

I will soon be faced, though, with getting a new rear wheel for a new
bike. I haven't really decided whether I'm going to go with the IRD-
specific Phil freewheel hub or whether I'll go with the (what I
presume to be) "standard" Phil freewheel hub. If I understand
correctly, the spacing on the latter would probably allow the
Shimanopore freewheel to fit my frame without finagling, at the cost
of increasing the dish somewhat. I haven't investigated how much it
increases it. (If anybody knows, I'd love to know too!) If it
increases it to near cassette levels... well, then I'd probably say
goodbye to freewheels entirely. My *main* reason for using them in the
first place was that the near-dishless nature made the wheel more
robust than a cassette wheel (now... discuss! :)). Distantly
secondarily, the front-wheel-ish simplicity of the rear wheel per se
appeals to me also; a freehub seems inelegantly relatively
complicated. (Again... discuss! :)) (I gave no thought to bikes until
cassettes were already the norm; the appeal may not make sense. But it
isn't born of retro-grouchy nostalgia.)

Oh, and I prefer quill stems primarily because they look better. Way
better.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean