I live in the Boston area and am a rivenhead for sure.   I know there are
lots more around here, and have even seen the occasional Rambouillet or AHH
going by the other way!    I primarily ride to work and back and ride the
trails and aquaducts around newton/weston ma.    In the summer I am
engulfed by the occasional peloton, but miss those guys in the winter (even
now when we have no snow).

Anyway it seems that in Boston there are lots of steel bikes of all kinds,
but ironically enough, mostly among younger riders.    I think the fixie
thing, for all its controversy and hype, really introduced young riders to
the virtues of steel and the fact that durability/repairability IS an
important part of performance.    Fixed gear culture also helped dissolve
the notion that special plastic clothing is required for riding a bicycle
(after all, you only need tight jeans and a couple neck tattoos :).
But seriously, maybe its a stretch but I have hope for the future of BOBish
principles around here because of the kids.   And Bikes Not Bombs.

-Matt