Good point Jim, I totally agree with you about the influence that Grant and
folks like Sheldon Brown have had, on both bicycle culture, and the
prevalence of new steel bikes from more mainstream companies-   didn't mean
to overlook that in my hypothesis about why so many people are riding steel
frames now.    Rivendell has advocated the use of steel and lugs
continuously since bridgestone, and has always had a dedicated following
(though smaller at the beginning), whereas the fixie culture has helped get
a somewhat tangential group of people on board, who will hopefully all end
up as BOBs/ROBs too heh heh :D

Matt