Tis the season to be putting on more miles and I am experiencing more
pronounced lower back pain.  For some reason climbing makes it even
worse.  I feel like my bars are too far forward for me but don't wan't
to launch on a stem buying spree without some scientific study and
addl input from group members.  The facts:

64cm Ram with the bars about 3cm over saddle height, 60cm cockpit w/a
12cm stem and a VO wayback seatpost w/a brooks B17.  I am tall with
long torso & short arms.  When I look at my front hub thru my bars the
hub is about an inch ahead of the line made by the bars (but since the
bars are up so high this point is essentially moot).  What I think is
probably the most telling issue is that my knees remain about 7" away
from my bars (measured horizontally from each other from a purely
eyeballed vertical plane separating my knee from the bars).  The
method I used to take this measurement was to spin backwards holding
onto the wall looking straight down at a tape measure to judge the
imaginary horizontal distance from the farthest forward progress of
the knee.

Has anyone else faced this challenge?  Solution?  Does the "knee-bar
quotient" seem like a rational metric.  Anyone else care to share
their number?

Bruce in Seattle