I am always impressed with people who can put this type of thought and effort
into a bike project.

I have an Atlantis and a Rambouillet.  I have ridden many brevets including
1200k's on the Rambouillet using a large front handlebar bag.  The only problem
I have encountered is climbing at low speed the weight of the bag tends to make
the front wheel want to flop more from side to side requiring extra effort to
maintain a straight line.  At normal cruising speed and on high speed descents
I have found the handling of the bike to be sure and confident.

I have ridden the Atlantis unloaded and with a Hoss and Boxy Baggins for week
long tours and again never encountered any problems in handling.  I have not
put on a full load of panniers so I can't comment on this.  The bike feels just
a little heavier then the Rambouillet but not so much so that I wouldn't use it
for general riding.

I don't know if my experience with the performance of the bikes is different
because of slight differences in the bikes, the style of the rider (me) versus
other riders styles or just a difference in expectations.  Because I am quite
happy with the handling of these bikes I have decided that I do not want to
change them.

But, I have also wanted to try a low trail bike and recently saw that the Velo
Orange Randonneurs were on sale for a very good price.  I am in the process of
building one of these bikes up now and will be interested to see how it
compares to my Riv's.  One difference with the VO Randonneurs compared to other
low trail bikes is that the VO's are 700c and limited to 30mm tires with
fenders.  I am assuming that the trail is optimized for this width tire.  If I
find I like the low trail bike for touring I can then invest in a frame that
will take the wider tires I would like and if I don't I haven't invested too
much in the experiment.

Nice work, keep us posted on your results.

Larry Powers

Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live. - Mark Twain