I have a friend who had a carbon frame break (madone right at the bottom
bracket, bike was unrideable, he was bummed), have witnessed a carbon fork
break at speed (dude went away in an ambulance; frame and fork was toast. A
stick in the road came up and took out both fork arms. The accident
happened really fast and the rider had no time to stop the bike) and I have
had a steel fork bend when I was trying to hop over a curb but didn't get
it up enough.  I bent the fork back with my hands, rode the bike home that
day and replaced the fork; Jamis Aurora.

I have also had dented steel tubes, broken tubes, bent chainstays and
broken crankarms. The only thing that put me on the ground from breaking
was the crankarm, and that crash hurt and I had to get someone to pick me
up.  The other stuff happened over time while riding, hitting trees while
singletracking, crashing the bike and realizing the bike broke ect...  I
can't remember a time where the bike did not get me home after that damage
though.