At age 29 in 2008, I decided to get a bike because a handful of coworkers
influenced me to start riding (and keep in mind that I had not been on a
bike since I was 6 years old). I started out with a Bianchi Volpe
cyclocross bike because it was an affordable do-it-all bike. Shortly after
purchasing the bike and getting hooked on cycling, a fellow automobile
enthusiast turned me on to Nashbar, Bikeman, and Rivbike for spare parts. I
would later come to find that my buddy was also a huge enthusiast of
Bridgestone and Waterford bicycles.

In visiting the Riv web site, I spent a lot of time reading all of the
great articles on bike materials, the shoes ruse, and the importance of
having fun on a bike. Slowly, I started to get away from the spandex/skinny
tire manifesto because wide tires and pretty silver bike parts were coming
back in fashion. Luckily, Velo-Orange was just starting to blow up, so I
had another source for parts to swap onto my Bianchi. In December of 2010,
I had just noticed that the orange Sam Hillbornes arrived and I put in an
order immediately. With a stockpile of parts, I built up my Sam and sold my
Bianchi. I've been riding that bike almost daily since its purchase and it
has gone through many different variations---currently a 1x9 no fenders and
a rando bag that I made.

In the past year, I picked up a "poor-mans-Homer" as an errand bike that I
wouldn't mind locking up in public areas. So, I've got the Sam for weekend
rides with the wife and the occasional century ride. And I've got a Soma
Smoothie (great bike by the way) for my commute to work and errands around
town). Naturally, the Smoothie has 28c tires, a Brooks saddle, and the Riv
standard drivetrain.