Like many here, I was a fan of Riv and used their parts and philosophy for
a long time before I took the plunge (this year) on a Quickbeam, which is
recently built up and awesome!  (Pics once I get my grubby hands on a
Titanico X).

Basically, i started riding seriously in high school, around 2001-2002.  I
bought a trek 520 touring bike for a cross-country bike tour summer-camp
type thing i did between junior and senior years (great fodder for college
application essays!), so from the start I was sold on the idea of steel and
go-anywhere "road" bikes.  Moved to Berkeley, CA for college, rode a bit
with the Cal Cycling team to learn the local routes but didn't really
appreciate the racing attitude.  Around the same time, I was discovering
fixed gears as a way of getting around town and was teaching myself to
wrench by reading Sheldon's site and doing fixed gear conversions, so my
first exposure to Rivendell was seeing Sheldon's fixed-gear Rambouillet; I
loved the classic aesthetics and modern functionality.  Knew of them and
followed them off and on, watched with interest the re-introduction of 650B
with the Saluki, and the Quickbeam, which was well-received in the fixed
gear circles I ran in.  Then, in 2007, I tried some moustache bars, and
although they didn't really work for me, Riv sent a reader and one of the
old print catalogs along with my order, and with that stuff, I was hooked
as a Rivendell die-hard.  It was the same Reader where they introduced the
Homer.

Still, I was of limited enough means in the college and immediate post
college years that I didn't really feel like one was affordable, so I ended
up buying a Salsa Casseroll frame to be my own budget Quickbeam/Rambouillet
mashup.  I've struggled with the fit on it for a while, and tried a couple
of other bikes to see if I could come closer to a Rivendell type fit.  The
most recent was a giant 66cm Takara touring bike, but even that didn't feel
right--I've now realized it was because its frame angles were all wrong
(who builds a touring bike with a parallel 73/73 frame?).  After that,
around christmas last year, I had a conversation with my
then-fiance-now-wife: "So what do you really want?"  "I want a comfy fixed
gear I can ride as an everyday bike."  "It sounds like you want a
Rivendell."  "Yeah, that's basically it."

So a couple of weeks later we visited Walnut creek, hoping to take
advantage of the SO closeout special.  Vince wasn't convinced that I would
fit well on a 62cm SO, even with upright bars.  He said, "Let me see what I
have lying around," disappeared for a while, and came back with a 64cm
Orange Quickbeam, a bike I had coveted since they first came out!  I put
down a layaway deposit on the spot, and four months later, it was mine!
Four months after that (and after a move, job change, marriage, and
honeymoon), it's finally built up, and even though I'm still dialing it in,
I can tell that there is really something unique and wonderful about the
Riv geometry and tubing spec, and this is going to be a bike that I keep
for a long, long time.