Jim -- curious if, when saying you like hydraulics, whether that means you
don't particularly like mechanicals; and if so, why not. I've used older
Avid BB7 mechanicals, both road and mountain versions. The road version was
useless even with absolutely unflexing housing (this was special stuff that
was wound like indexing shifter cable housing -- meant for brakes) and 180
mm discs. The mountain version seems to work well enough: easy to set up,
powerful is the housing is not flexy (I find that the front is fine, not as
good as Vs but perfectly adequate; the rear, with five feet of bulk
housing, not so good); modulation is adequate but not great; and that disks
bend easily and annoyingly. Tektro V brake levers.

In short, I wonder if there are tricks to set up mechanicals that I don't
know (and would like to know) or if disks have to be hydraulic to be
excellent. (The one time I tried a neighbor's bike with hydraulics I almost
sent myself over the bar).

Also, if anyone has any tips about setting up Tektro interrupters for V
brakes (these have red knobs that don't seem to accompish anything when you
turn them) I'd be grateful to learn them. While my Tektro drop levers pull
hard before coming anywhere near close to the bar, the interrupters are
spongy and almost bottom out before stopping.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <
thill....@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems moderately necessary to point out that there's nothing specific
> to a frame that's made for hydraulic disc brakes that is different than on
> a frame made for cable disc brakes. Therefore, IF Riv makes a bike for disc
> brakes, which seems only a tiny bit likely IMO, there's no need for any of
> us to be forced into one type of brake or another.
>
> I like hydraulic brakes. I've been using several models of Avid hydraulics
> for about 3 years now, and I've never had one single problem with them.
> They are, for all practical purposes, self-adjusting and never seem to make
> any superfluous noise. It is true, however, that using hydraulic brakes
> does limit brake lever options. Think of the hydraulic brake/lever as a
> single unit, rather than the mix and match experience of cable-actuated
> systems. This is a mix-and-match-centric group, I realize.
>

> On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:37:17 PM UTC-5, Montclair BobbyB wrote:
>>
>> Or hydraulic brakes... I've been riding both cable and hydraulic disc
>> brakes for years, and I'm here to tell you, hydraulic Shimano's (the older
>> style) are the bee's knees... I've never had issues with busted brake lines
>> or poor performance... They're easy to maintain and super dependable, way
>> more dependable than rim brakes!  And even the best-adjusted cable-actuated
>> disc brakes can't come close to the hydraulics.  The price has come way
>> down on hydraulic brakes... there are few reasons left to go with cable
>> discs... I've been running them on my mountain bikes for years in all kinds
>> of rought weather conditions (including ice and snow).  THEY STOP in all
>> kinds of weather!
>>
>> I'd love to see a disc version Rivendell...although I fear it would
>> require a beefier fork (for the forces applied to the lower section of the
>> fork).  This might be a challenge to make a beefier fork that looks
>> elegant.  Then again, I'll bet it's possible to preserve the beauty in a
>> disc version.. Wes Williams (for example) makes a beautifully curved 29er
>> disc fork (the Willits WOW).   I love the look of rim brakes, but
>> performance wise there's simply no contest between rim and disc brakes.
>>
>> Peace,
>> BB
>>
>> On Monday, September 3, 2012 5:53:11 PM UTC-4, James Warren wrote:
>>>

>>> I would like it if this bike were made ready for disc brakes. Mechanical
>>> ones.
>>>

>>>  --
> For more options, visit this group at

"Believe nothing until it has been officially denied."
                                                   -- Claude Cockburn