Here's the quotes about the TIG welding thoughts in Yosemite and the cheap
ugly bike. I found 'em in the Urban Velo post linked from the blug:

*Do you ever think of building cheap TIG-welded mass-market bikes?*

I think of it a lot. I thought of when I was in Yosemite on vacation. That
should drive home the point. But a good idea isn’t always a good idea.
Ideas have tentacles, they affect and are affected by other things outside
the main idea, and those things aren’t always obvious. If you could take
some of our bike models, fold your arms and blink your eyes like Jeanie,
and turn it into a TIG-welded bike with thick, seamed, straight-gauge CrMo
steel tubing; you’d have a heck of a cheap, functional bike. But if we did
that and they became immensely popular, we’d have tons of competition the
next year, and that competition could smother us. We don’t source from
China, but that kind of bike could be, and suddenly we’re just an also-ran,
an after thought.

*What about building a bike that is a bit more theft resistant?*

I still have a plan for a cheaper bike for riding in bike thefty areas.
Everybody at Rivendell knows about our “cheap bike project.” The idea is to
have a super ugly bike with a few manufacturing shortcuts, it would come
primered, but not painted. You’d assemble it and then paint it, and not
worry about overspray on the rims and tires. Each bike would look already
stolen, and could have a unique paint job that made a real thief reluctant
to take it, because it would be so identifiable.

http://www.urbanvelo.org/issue32/p76-77.html

Paul