I'm not the Jim you asked, but I'll chime in anyway. I've used both
mechanical and hydraulic. I thought the mechanical were quite easy to set
up (so I don't have any secrets, I just followed the instructions), and I
thought they stopped as well as a good v-brake. But when it comes to
stopping power, hydraulics have way more than any v- or canti. There are
really steep fire roads and trails around Mt. Diablo where I ride, and
there are plenty of steep pitches where Paul cantis only slow me down, but
my 200mm front hydraulic can bring me to a short, well modulated stop. I
weigh 220, and that makes a difference in stopping requirements, but the
hydraulics add a level of confidence that no mechanical brake can. Of
course, some times it's fun to test my limits, which is why I ride both
kinds of brakes.

I hope the new Riv can take discs too.

jim m
wc ca