I don't want to start an argument, but this article only deals with
mountain bikes, he never mentions road bikes other than to refer to people
falling over at traffic lights because they couldn't get out of their
pedals.  That's a red herring.  Yes it can be true for hard core road
pedals, but most mountain bike pedals, like the Speedplay Frogs I like,
actually unclip pretty easily, in fact I have accidentally unclipped them
while going over rough roads.  I've tried the open pedal approach a number
of times but keep returning to some form of help in keeping my feet
connected and aligned.  Having had surgery on the bottom of one foot, I
also find it best to vary pedals and like to switch between the Frogs and
the White platform pedals with Bruce Gordon half clips.  Half clips like
the Gordon's or the traditional "clip" without a sinched strap seem to
offer the best combination - any shoe, easy in and out, and a secure
feeling on the pedal.  That said my Frogs are the easiest in & out pedals I
have ever used, and my foot likes a harder shoe sole, as I have on my Keen
Commuters and Keen Austin Pedlars, rather than sneakers.

Michael