As someone who learned to ride with clipless pedals from the get go, I
always scoffed at flats and drank all the marketing cool-aid on clipless.
However, I have a Morton's neuroma on my left foot and wide feet, and
always had excrutiating foot pain on long rides or rides with lots of
climbing. After years of trying numerous shoes and pedals, in recent years
I discovered that riding with the Wide Specialized Body Geometry shoes
minimized or even eliminated the problem. A little after discovering
Rivendell bikes, I tried to drink Grant's flat pedal cool-aid but the pain
was unbearable and couldn't find shoes that controlled or eliminated the
pain like the Wide Specialized shoes did, so I put clipless pedals back on
my Rivs. Not that everything was perfect, but it was manageable in terms of
pain. BTW, this pain has always limited the amount of time/distance I can
ride.
This past summer, I picked up regular mountain biking again, after a year
of not doing it at all. Regular mountain biking was how I picked up cycling
as an adult in Venezuela some 14 years ago. Most of my current mountain
biking friends (riding dual suspension bikes) ride with flats and we always
made fun of each other.
Then I bumped into the above article a month or two ago, and realized that
I want to learn how to do some of the more essential/advanced mountain
biking skills like wheelies and bunny hoping, manuals, etc. but don't dare
try them on clipless pedals. The author not only made a good case (that I'd
already been exposed to) on using flats to learn the skills properly, but
opened my eyes (on another of the videos on his site, I believe) to how the
foot needs to be positioned on the flat pedals. I had always been
positioning my foot on the flats on the ball of my foot, instead of (as
instructed) placing my foot on the pedal almost over the arch.
I took advantage of Competitive Cyclist policy and tried some 5.10 shoes,
discovered that with my wide feet I needed to go up one size and that the
shoes that have firmer platforms since they are clipless compatible worked
best for me. An Aline insole to replace the stock one improves it even
more.
I have now done mountain bike rides where my feet don't hurt while riding,
no matter how much I climb or stand on the pedals during the descents. It's
all about how the foot is positioned on the pedals.
As I finish rebuilding my Atlantis, I ordered and installed a pair of the
new flat pedals with pins that Riv is selling to give them a try again.
Will adjust where I place my foot on the pedals again and see how it goes.
These are the little details that seem to always be missed by people who
don't have pain problems with their feet. It seems, so far, that a new
world of possibilities has opened up since with the clipless pedals I could
never position my foot so far over the pedal due to the limited range of
the cleat positioning on the shoes.
So, for those dealing with foot pain, it seems that the combination of a
more rigid soled shoe + flat pedal with pins + shoe sole with extreme
traction can provide a combination that improves the challenge
significantly. Now if only 5.10 shoes were built in Wide as well... I could
use my real size in terms of foot length for an even better fit.

Apologies for the long post!

René "who never means his apologies for lengthy posts"...