Not with my Quickbeam, and I never really loaded it up for touring, but I
did a lot of riding on my Casseroll with a 17/19t dingle cog and a 22t
freewheel with a single 42 ring up front, setup so the chainline was just
between the two dingle cogs.  It was a good setup with a lot of
capability--I did tons of big climbs, including Diablo and Tam a few times
each, and some trail riding.

One thing I will note is that while these setups do work well, shifting
isn't trivial, so there is a certain amount of calculation of the length +
steepness of the climb against the effort of stopping and shifting, then
stopping and shifting again once the grade relents.  I imagine that that
calculation becomes more complicated with a touring load (which both makes
climbing in a big gear harder, and handling the bike while performing the
shift more difficult) and terrain like that found on the CA central coast,
where there are no diablo-length climbs but there are a lot of shorter,
steep ones.  As Philip and others have noted, the best terrain for setups
like this are mountains surrounded by flat ground--haul ass to the
trailhead in your high gear, and then tackle the mountains with a nice low
gear.  Rolling terrain becomes a bit more complicated.  How long or steep
does a climb have to be for you to shift?

I've never tried it, but I think a Quickbeam setup with a three-speed hub
could do some awesome touring if you kept the load reasonable.  Old english
tourists used to go all over the place with their Sturmey Archer AW's.  The
updated SA hubs like the SRF-3 look pretty bomber and have wide ranges.

My Quickbeam has mostly stayed a 1x1 since I built it up, but this thread
has me wanting to put some more gears on it!