I worked at a Trek dealer in 2005 before I started HC. Back then they had
the Pilot series of comfort-road bikes. These were a more upright geometry
with clearance for 700x28 (gasp). The trick to selling them was to
de-emphasize the "comfort" part of the category. In many cyclists' minds,
"comfort" = a geeky 50-lb Pee Wee Herman ballooner.