Doug,

My Brother purchased a SOMA San Marcos off the web for $775.00 and built it
up with 11 speed Campy Athena, and Velo-Orange wheels. He did have to
purchase the the Tektro 559's for increased reach. He has mounted racks,
and trunk bags and has since mounted Longboard fenders. He loves the bike
and loves the way it handles. When he spoke to Riv they explained to him
that the San Marcos is the closest frame set they sell that emulates the
ride quality of the Roadeo.

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4Qulq7OXJeM/UYtBZFvWlSI/AAAAAAAAAC4/wIGGUAWJ4i8/s1600/Soma_w_racks.jpeg>

Incidentally, he just recently purchased a Surly pacer and built it up with
10 speed Campy! He apparently loves Campy :-) So his rational was he wanted
a bike unloaded. I on the other hand purchased a A.A.H. built up by Riv
with their mix of parts. My second bike will be a Trek 660 built with Campy
10 speed ( It runs in the family) meant to ride with a minimal load and on
the road and light dirt roads.

I think the most important criteria is what are you comfortable spending
and what will give you long term happiness? My Hilsen has small lettering
on the seat tube with "Rivendell"  the down tube in large letters has "A.
Homer. Hilsen" though it doesn't scream "Rivendell" I love it. If it looks
like a Riv, rides like a Riv then it's a Riv. Lastly, I was riding up a
road on my way back home in my neighborhood and a fellow yells "hey is that
a Rivendell?" I turned back with a smile and confirmed his suspicion.

Like Jim Thill I like the Soma San Marcos headbadge it's awesome, and I
also dig the Riv custom headbadge both hansome.

Good luck on your decision either frame set will bring you a lot of
enjoyment.

Hugh
Sunland, CA