I can't answer the question directly, but this indirect information may be
worth the stating: I long ago found that treadless tires, particularly Fat
Boys, were much more likely to slip on wet streets than other tires I used
on the same bikes, these including similarly wide (nominal 35, more like 32
on my rims) City Slickers and much narrower sub 1" Specialized Turbos. IME,
even a little tread helps. FWIW, I am a very cautious cornerer in the best
of conditions and even more cautious in the wet.

Experience will best tell you how best to control your bike on wet streets,
but it is good to know in advance that a newly wetted street is often
slicker than one that has been washed clean by inundation.

Patrick Moore, who even just now road back home in the runoff from a very
localized SWestern downpour (tho' he missed the downpour) on his
non-befendered Parigi Roubaix.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Peter <peterdavid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.  Please tell me what tire and width of tire you'd recommend
> for a novice commuter riding on wet (rainy) and poor city streets. I find
> that I don't feel very safe on wet streets and thus suffer a loss of
> confidence unless I ride quite slowly--obviously I want to keep riding and
> improve my skills. At the moment I'm gearing up to buy a new bike from
> Rivendell, but haven't yet decided on the model. My current bike is a
> Cannondale touring bike.
> Many thanks.

http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com