On 08/01/2013 12:16 AM, Peter wrote:
Hi everyone. Please tell me what tire and width of tire you'd recommend for a novice commuter riding on wet (rainy) and poor city streets. I find that I don't feel very safe on wet streets and thus suffer a loss of confidence unless I ride quite slowly--obviously I want to keep riding and improve my skills. At the moment I'm gearing up to buy a new bike from Rivendell, but haven't yet decided on the model. My current bike is a Cannondale touring bike.

I feel confident on wet roads with just about all the tires that I use, including Grand Bois Cypres 700x32C, Grand Bois Hetre 42x650B, Grand Bois Lierre 38x650B, Panaracer Col de la Vie 38x650B and Challenge Parigi Roubaix 27x700C. I don't ride the one bike that has narrower tires than those in the rain very often because it won't fit fenders, but I was caught by unexpected rain on a long ride last summer and found that Michelin Pro2Race 700Cx25 were fine in the rain as well.

If you're commuting on poor quality city streets a lot, I'd definitely recommend a wide tire. 38-42mm width and around 50 psi takes a lot of the worry out of bad pavement, especially at night when visibility isn't good and it's hard to be fastidious about avoiding problem areas.

What makes you feel unsafe now?