Anne, you tried.  Likely you were the only one suggesting she consider
alternatives.  In my club, whenever anyone inquires about "what should I
get?" the discussion quickly devolves into the merits of Big T vs Big S.
Lately a few CX bikes have snuck in but are considered radical.  Since the
average age is over 50, a lot of these riders suffer on longer rides, and
actively avoid hills.  Too bad the bike becomes a limiting factor in having
fun.

dougP