Oversize tubing adds stiffness given comparable wall thickness.  So
depending on your size and planned loads you choose the appropriate
stiffness desired.
at 6' and  195ish I find standard diameter  8/5/8 tubing the best for
unloaded riding on the road and smooth dirt trails.  For touring I have
bike with the same wall thickness using OS tubes even though it's a front

Production bike have to be stiffer as they have to fit a wider range of
riders.  When you get a custom you can pick tubing that fits your size and
riding style.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca