On 02/18/2014 12:54 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:
As long as we use terms like  "standard" and "oversize", there's bound to be
confusion and mistaken ideas. With the sheer variety of not only tubing diameters, but also wall
thicknesses, butting, cross-section shapes, heat treating options, etc, not to mention a lot of
different frame designs, trying to differentiate one bike from another based on tubing diameter
seems pretty arbitrary to me. The idea that we can know anything about the performance or feel of a
bike based on this one factor is pretty far-fetched.

Maybe so, but for typical butted steel alloy tubing, wall thickness and tubing diameter will tell you an awful lot about frame stiffness, and if you already know from your prior experience that standard diameter 8/5/8 or 7/4/7 give you the degree of flexibility you want, you can be pretty damned certain that oversize 8/5/8 or 9/6/9 is going to be too stiff. And there's absolutely NOTHING far-fetched about that.

After all, you yourself have said in this thread you are already certain that standard diameter tubing (and since you don't specify wall thicness we can assume you mean anything from 9/6/9 on down) is too flexible for you.