I think I read somewhere once that tire clearance increased slightly with
the later Quickbeams, and then again with the Simple Ones.  If this is
true, it would explain my confusion.  I'm pretty sure my QB is one of the
early ones, and I don't think I could fit anywhere near a 43 on it.  If I
could, I'd probably agree that it is fine as-is.

Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time even finding something in the 40mm range
to try, so I was about to get some 37mm Passellas as a last-ditch attempt
to make it work.  I'd LOVE some Rock 'n Roads but it seems like a few
people have determined that those are way too fat, even on the SOs.  (I
really want skinwalls, by the way).

So maybe my issues/questions are different than Justin's.   I'd still love
to see some good photos of a fat 650b stuffed in there, though.