From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Moore, Richard
Sent: 23 July 2012 07:39
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Christianity-centric terminology in RDA

I think "CE" is more usually taken as "Common Era", rather than "Christian
Era". "Christian Era" would, I agree, defeat the object.

The Wikipedia article on the abbreviations has the following links to published
usage:

http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?content=BC,BCE&year_start=1800&year_e
nd=2008&corpus=0&smoothing=3
http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?content=century+AD,century+CE&year_st
art=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Which indicate that "BC" and "AD" still predominate. However, quite why RDA
allows "AD" to persist as a Latin abbreviation when it's been so retentive
about elminating "fl." and "ca." is beyond me. They are all abbreviations in
contemporary international use, but as has been said, this can in theory all be
dealt with by altering displays.

Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager
The British Library