Doesn't the definition of "composer (expression)" point to how composers of
music for films may have different relationships to different expressions of a
motion picture?

RDA I.3.1 - composer (expression)
"A person, family, or corporate body contributing to an expression by adding
music to a work that originally lacked it, by composing new music to substitute
for the original music, or by composing new music to supplement the existing
music."

With each version of a motion picture, with different director's cuts (each a
different expression of the motion picture), the musical contribution may vary,
perhaps with new music entirely, even though it's fundamentally the same work.

Isn't this the same distinction between illustrator (expression-level) and
artist (work-level)? The added illustrations to a book may in some sense be a
separate work, which an "artist" is responsible for, but convention would have
this as an expression-level relationship-- a contribution to a specific
realization of a work. The same work may later have a different set of
illustrations contributed by a different illustrator.

Also, the expression-level term "performer" may make sense as an expression
term if one considers all the different cuts of a film. In many cases, one
actor may be indispensable to all cuts, but over time, with scenes added or
cut, or reshot, some performers may make different contributions to each of the
expressions. A good example is the original Star Wars trilogy, which have been
re-released many times, often with new actors and voiceovers redoing some
scenes.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library