Benjamin,

The RDA element 20.2 is named Contributor, which is why there is no designator. It wouldn't be needed in RDA because the element itself is contributor. You wouldn't need to encode this in a designator, because it would be redundant:

Contributor: Maxwell, Robert, contributor.

The problem of course is encoding RDA in MARC 21, because 7XX is not solely limited to contributors.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries