Bob,

I agree with you that we *should* be able to add 'creator' as a relationship
designator, but RDA explicitly says:
Under (18.5.1.3 <http://access.rdatoolkit.org/18.5.1.3.html> ):
"If the element used to record the relationship (e.g., creator) is
considered sufficient for the purposes of the agency creating the data, do
not use a relationship designator to indicate the specific nature of the
relationship."

And under (I.1 <http://access.rdatoolkit.org/I.1.html> ):
"If the element used to record the relationship (e.g., creator) is
considered sufficient for the purposes of the agency creating the data, do
not use a relationship designator to indicate the specific nature of the
relationship."

To me, these statements are saying that we are only to add these terms when
we need to indicate the relationship more precisely than the relationship
element itself does, e.g., we do not add the designator 'publisher' to data
provided under the relationship element 'Publisher' because the element name
explains the relationship.

I would like to see that instruction changed, so that we don't go looking
for a designator, can't find it, and have to remember, oh yes, I don't add
it because the element name is sufficient. For example, under publisher
(1.4.2 <http://access.rdatoolkit.org/I.4.2.html> ) , only the term
'broadcaster' is listed, because the element *name* 'Publisher' is supposed
to be sufficient.

It is undoubtedly more 'efficient' in computer terms to have the element
label perform the function of the relationship designator when it can, but
this concept is a good deal more difficult to explain to the humans
recording the data.

While we are using MARC, however, I certainly agree with you that we have to
add the element label as a designator term, since the RDA relationship
element name 'Publisher' (21.3 <http://access.rdatoolkit.org/21.3.html> ) is
not explicit in MARC 710.

Deborah

- - -