From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Deborah Fritz
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:19 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Question about relationship terms for contributors

Bob,

I agree with you that we *should* be able to add 'creator' as a relationship
designator, but RDA explicitly says:

Under (18.5.1.3<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/18.5.1.3.html>):

"If the element used to record the relationship (e.g., creator) is considered
sufficient for the purposes of the agency creating the data, do not use a
relationship designator to indicate the specific nature of the relationship."

And under (I.1<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/I.1.html>):

"If the element used to record the relationship (e.g., creator) is considered
sufficient for the purposes of the agency creating the data, do not use a
relationship designator to indicate the specific nature of the relationship."

To me, these statements are saying that we are only to add these terms when we
need to indicate the relationship more precisely than the relationship element
itself does, e.g., we do not add the designator 'publisher' to data provided
under the relationship element 'Publisher' because the element name explains
the relationship.

I would like to see that instruction changed, so that we don't go looking for a
designator, can't find it, and have to remember, oh yes, I don't add it because
the element name is sufficient. For example, under publisher
(1.4.2<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/I.4.2.html>) , only the term 'broadcaster'
is listed, because the element *name* 'Publisher' is supposed to be sufficient.

It is undoubtedly more 'efficient' in computer terms to have the element label
perform the function of the relationship designator when it can, but this
concept is a good deal more difficult to explain to the humans recording the
data.

While we are using MARC, however, I certainly agree with you that we have to
add the element label as a designator term, since the RDA relationship element
name 'Publisher' (21.3<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/21.3.html>) is not explicit
in MARC 710.

Deborah

- - -