From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Jack Wu
Sent: October 16, 2012 4:39 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Question about relationship terms for contributors

But is the subfield e relationship designator mandatory or optional, for the
1xx field, for the 7xx field?

Jack

Jack Wu
Franciscan University of Steubenville

>>> "Brenndorfer, Thomas"
>>> <tbrenndor...@library.guelph.on.ca<mailto:tbrenndor...@library.guelph.on.ca>>
>>>  10/16/2012 4:27 PM >>>
Here’s a simple chart:

MARC has two main fields for making an access point for a Person:

100

700

Specific relationship  designators can be added in subfield $e.

But in RDA, there are two layers. There is a top level relationship element
connected to a work, expression, manifestation, or item, and there are
relationship designators that fall into groups under the top level relationship
element. For example, “author” is a relationship designator that falls under
the work-related “Creator” relationship element.

Here’s the list of top-level relationship elements:

WORK relationship elements:
Creator
Other Person, Family or Corporate Body Associated with a Work

EXPRESSION relationship elements:
Contributor

MANIFESTATION relationship elements:
Producer of an Unpublished Resource
Publisher
Distributor
Manufacturer
Other Person, Family or Corporate Body Associated with a Manifestation

ITEM relationship elements:
Owner
Custodian
Other Person, Family or Corporate Body Associated with an Item

Under each relationship element there are a set of allowable and often
hierarchical relationship designators, which are found in RDA Appendix I.

Example for Owner (an item-level relationship element) and its subordinate
relationship designators:
Owner
- current owner
--- depositor
- former owner
--- donor
--- seller

Some top-level relationship elements, such as “Producer of an Unpublished
Resource” have no subordinate relationship designators.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library