Damian Iseminger wrote:

> Authorized access points are not required in RDA.  The decision to use
> them is up to you.  In your case it might be a good idea to create one.

I beg to differ.  In RDA chapter 17 (General Guidelines on Recording Primary
Relationships), it says at 17.3 Core Elements:

        When recording primary relationships, include as a minimum the work
manifested. If there is more than one expression of the work, record the
expression manifested.
        If more than one work is embodied in the manifestation, only the
predominant or first-named work manifested is required.
        If more than one expression is embodied in the manifestation, only the
predominant or first-named expression manifested is required.

Therefore, the primary relationship is Core.  In most current environments, the
only method we have to record the primary relationship is via the authorized
access point.  Most agencies are not yet at the point where they can use an
identifier.

I do not understand the LC-PCC PS for chapter 17.  It says:  "LC practice for
Chapter 17: Do not apply chapter 17 in the current implementation scenario."
But it is, in fact, being applied in practice.  It's what we're doing when we
give the authorized access point, the recording method described in 17.4.2.2.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
k...@northwestern.edu