Damian Iseminger wrote:

> I also beg to differ. It is up to you how you want express the Work
> manifested relationship. According to 17.4.2.2 you can use an identifier or
> an authorized access point OR a composite description. The only thing
> Core is expressing the primary relationship.
>
> So in the situation is was responding to earlier, the Work manifested
> relationship could be just as easily expressed in a composite description
> as:
>
> A brief history of the Western world / Thomas H. Greer, Gavin Lewis.
> Previous title: A brief history of Western man.
>
> In fact this is eerily similar to the Composite Description example at
> 17.8.1.3, Recording a Work Manifested.

Good point!  But without an identifier or an authorized access point, I don't
see any way for a composite description to fulfill any kind of collocating
function in a database of bibliographic data.  So I guess you're right that the
authorized access point isn't core in RDA.  But in order to meet RDA objective
0.4.2.4 Continuity (The data should be amenable to integration into existing
databases (particularly those developed using AACR and related standards)) then
I think we really should all be thinking of the authorized access point as
being core in our implementation for the time being.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
k...@northwestern.edu