From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of M. E.
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:04 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA and the Title Proper

Kevin M Randall <k...@northwestern.edu<mailto:k...@northwestern.edu>> wrote:
This touches on one of my "favorite" cataloging pet peeves, which is the
tendency of many catalogers to treat as "other title information" things that
really should be seen as essential parts of the title proper.

Another example came up on AUTOCAT a few years ago.  If memory serves, the
title page of the book was laid out in this way:

 Historical Israel: Biblical Israel
 Studying Joshua to 2 Kings

And the 245 read:

 245 10 Historical Israel : $b biblical Israel : studying Joshua to 2 Kings /

The cataloger read too much into that colon.

Then we have those situations where 245 $b other title information should
instead be part/section/supplement titles (245 $n/$p).

--
Mark K. Ehlert
Minitex