I am puzzled by the treatment of initials in names of persons under RDA.

According to AACR2, I believe there was never a space between two or more initials, regardless whether the initials appeared in the bibliographic description (e.g. in the statement of responsibility) or in a heading or reference. An example in 1.1.F4. reads "edited by P.C. Wason and P.N. Johnson-Laird", and one in 22.5A1. reads "Byatt, A.S.". So, the treatment was consistent.

Now in RDA, initials in the bibliographic description are still transcribed without internal spaces, e.g. "edited by P.C. Wason and P.N. Johnson-Laird" (example in 1.7.6). Yet they are transcribed with spaces in preferred or variant names of persons, e.g.
"Rowling, J. K." (example in 8.5.6.1).

I find it difficult to understand why the rule was changed with respect to preferred/variant names only. Wouldn't it be much easier to apply the same custom in both cases?

In Germany, we've always put spaces between initials in names of persons, regardless whether these appear in the bibliographic description or in headings/references. I think this is mainly due to matters of indexing. Many systems here simply ignore full stops in indexing. So without internal spaces we would end up with "PC" in the index instead of "P" and "C".

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.