Practice under RDA has not changed from what it was under AACR2: in the
descriptive portion of the record, e.g. statements of responsibility,
notes, and the like, initials with full stops are recorded without
intervening spaces, for example: "by S.J. Perelman."

The RDA instruction that continues this practice is found at 1.7.6, which
governs transcription (as opposed to formulation of access points).

In authorized access points, on the other hand, we have always included a
space between initials that are separated by full stops, for the exact
reasons of indexing that you mention, Heidrun.

For example:

100 1_ $a Lane, A. N. S.  [see name authority record n  96051095]

The RDA instruction to continue this practice is in chapter 8, which
governs the construction of authorized points -- see 8.5.6.1. (a): "leave a
space between a full stop following an initial representing a forename or
surname and the subsequent initial or name."

So yes, there is one practice that applies to transcription of information
found in the source, and another that applies to the formulation of access
points. But there has been no change in practice.

AACR2 didn't actually speak to the question of spacing after initials. The
example you give from 22.5A1 is just that, an example, and examples in
AACR2 are always illustrative, not prescriptive (see AACR2 0.14). So it was
left to a Library of Congress Rule Interpretation to determine actual
practice, and that determination is at LCRI 22.1B, under the caption:

Punctuation/Spacing Conventions in Personal Name Heading Access Points in
Name Authority and Bibliographic Records

where it states: "Spaces.  If the name contains two or more forenames
represented by initials, consists entirely of initials, or consists
entirely of separate letters that are not initials, input a single space
between the initials/letters in all cases."

--
Charles Croissant
Senior Catalog Librarian