Charles,

Thank you, that was very helpful indeed.

But I wonder: Was it never discussed whether it might be a good idea to change the practice for transcription, in order to align it with the practice for access points? There would be three advantages:

#1: consistent display in catalogs
#2: no problems with keyword indexing of titles and statements of responsibility #3: easier for catalogers (only one rule to remember for initials in names of persons instead of two)

LCCN 00339347 is a nice example for #1. The Permalink http://lccn.loc.gov/00339347 doesn't seem to work as it should today, so here are the main things users are shown in LC's catalog (the "old" one):

*Main title:*
Lieber C.G. Jung : was ich Ihnen schon immer sagen wollte / Marianne Schiess (Hrsg.) ; mit Beitra?gen von Ruth Ammann ... [et al.].
*Related names:*
Jung, C. G. (Carl Gustav), 1875-1961.
Schiess, Marianne.
Ammann, Ruth, 1934-
*Subjects:*
Jung, C. G. (Carl Gustav), 1875-1961.
Jungian psychology.

Perhaps users don't care about details like this anyway, but I still find it somwehat confusing to have "C.G." in the title
and "C. G." in the entries.

A good example for #2 is LCCN 88034257 (permalink would be http://lccn.loc.gov/88034257): C.G. Jung and the humanities : toward a hermeneutics of culture / edited by Karin Barnaby and Pellegrino D'Acierno.

I tried a title keyword search in LC's catalog with "c g jung humanities", which was successful - bravo, well done!

Then I tried the catalog of the British Library. A title keyword search for "c g jung humanities" got one result (a record where there seems to be a mistake in the title, as it has a space between the initials). A title keyword search for "cg jung humanities", on the other hand, got three results (in all of them, there is no space between the initials).

I conclude that although it is possible to come up with adequate indexing for initials without spaces, not all catalogs seem to have managed that (probably because some additional effort is needed). It certainly would be interesting to try out some more catalogs.

Here in Germany, we will have to discuss whether we should give up our practice of always using internal spaces, or whether we should make use of the first alternative in RDA 1.7.1. in this case (which allows to use in-house guidelines instead of the rules in 1.7.2-1.7.9).

Heidrun

Charles Croissant wrote:
Practice under RDA has not changed from what it was under AACR2: in the descriptive portion of the record, e.g. statements of responsibility, notes, and the like, initials with full stops are recorded without intervening spaces, for example: "by S.J. Perelman."

The RDA instruction that continues this practice is found at 1.7.6, which governs transcription (as opposed to formulation of access points).

In authorized access points, on the other hand, we have always included a space between initials that are separated by full stops, for the exact reasons of indexing that you mention, Heidrun.

For example:

100 1_ $a Lane, A. N. S.  [see name authority record n  96051095]

The RDA instruction to continue this practice is in chapter 8, which governs the construction of authorized points -- see 8.5.6.1. (a): "leave a space between a full stop following an initial representing a forename or surname and the subsequent initial or name."

So yes, there is one practice that applies to transcription of information found in the source, and another that applies to the formulation of access points. But there has been no change in practice.

AACR2 didn't actually speak to the question of spacing after initials. The example you give from 22.5A1 is just that, an example, and examples in AACR2 are always illustrative, not prescriptive (see AACR2 0.14). So it was left to a Library of Congress Rule Interpretation to determine actual practice, and that determination is at LCRI 22.1B, under the caption:

Punctuation/Spacing Conventions in Personal Name Heading Access Points in Name Authority and Bibliographic Records

where it states:"Spaces. If the name contains two or more forenames represented by initials, consists entirely of initials, or consists entirely of separate letters that are not initials, input a single space between the initials/letters in all cases."