This statement made me pause for thought: "Also, please demonstrate how on the
web, you can 'select' something in Google without already 'obtaining' it. I
cannot do it. In Google with full-text, I select whether I want materials only
AFTER I obtain it. I cannot do anything else. If I am wrong, please show me
how. This is yet another reason why I maintain the FRBR user tasks are based on
*physical objects* not virtual ones."

Who is to say that there needs to be a definite order of the FRBR tasks? As you
say, we must free out minds from preconceived notions- maybe we can mix things
up a bit and leave room for such things as obtaining something before selecting
it. I can't help but wonder how many times this happens for patrons. Someone
finds a resource, digital or physical, that might be useful, they obtain it,
only to find that it isn't that great. I can't tell you how many times I had
that problem as a graduate student--yikes!

Additionally, I have used Google and Google Scholar, which may or may not
provide snippets of information that the user may read directly under the
link-whether these actually match up with what is actually contained in the
resource is only seen when the user selects the link they think they want, but
I think there is still a form of selection method in this approach.

I don't believe libraries are going to disappear anytime soon. We have been
able to adapt thus far, I have every confidence that we will continue to do so
in future. Don't give up hope! I haven't.

Just my two cents.

Lizzy Walker, MLS
Metadata and Digital Initiatives Librarian
http://works.bepress.com/lizzy_walker/
316-978-5138
Wichita State University Libraries
1845 Fairmount St.