31.07.2013 00:04, James Weinheimer:

...  The refusal to accept that 99% of people do not
fit into these little pre-conceived FRBR user tasks is why I think that
perhaps librarianship may be destined for extinction. We must free our
minds from these pre-conceptions!

Visions of doom for libraries are nothing new, but their frequency
seems to increase, and doomsaying for the catalog along with them.
(And for MARC, not to forget.)
Now that will most probably all be premature as long as physical
resources of no small relevance continue to be produced in no small
numbers, many of which can soon thereafter be obtained only in libraries
and with a little help from their catalogs. Not, though, exclusively by
using those catalogs, as it used to be.
So, most resources, and most books among them, can now be found
or serendipitously stumbled over in novel ways not imagined even 20
years ago.
Books are therefore now perceived as items in the universe of
accessible resources, among which you navigate with tools and
methods that feel ever more as how things should be to many users,
young and old.
Among these tools and methods, library catalogs have lost a lot of
their former significance.
Need catalogs acquire new significance? And if yes, how can that be
achieved? By perfectioning, electronically, a functional model that
satisfied the needs of some people some of the time but could only
ever respond to some specific types of user needs and in some very
specific ways?
Only subject access by controlled vocabularies, as has been mentioned
many times, is where catalogs might regain significance in new
ways. RDA, up until now, contributes nothing to this. Things RDA
doesn't even touch on are already being done with pre-RDA data.
And BIBFRAME cannot become better than the inconsistent input it gets.

We might see two roads diverging from where we are, if indeed we
gather up the resolve to escape extinction (for a while):

A. Focus on the library as a place to be for work and talk and leisure.
   Reduce catalogs to their inventory function and only make
   sure that books found elsewhere, by ever improving search
   technologies the library community has no resources to develop
   or even keep up with, can be quickly located using their universal
   identifiers. (As happens now via GBS -> WorldCat -> Library)
   Libraries becoming mere storehouses for physical resources, but
   these storehouses will be needed for some while.

B. A revolution.

B.Eversberg