Since RDA does not address this situation specifically, you must apply the
RDA principles to your decision. Under the principle of representation (put
down what you see), if you believe that '61' is the date of production, then
you must record it as it appears on the source of information.

Here are the steps I used:

--------------------------

2.7.6 Date of Production

2.7.6.2 Sources of Information (SOI): "Take dates of production from any
source."

2.7.6.3 Recording Date of Production: " Record the date of production by
applying the basic instructions at 2.7.1."

2.7.1 Basic Instructions on Recording Production Statements

2.7.1.4 Recording Production Statements: "Record dates of production as they
appear on the source of information. Apply the general guidelines on
transcription for words that are not numbers (see 1.7). Apply the general
guidelines on numbers expressed as numerals or as words (see 1.8)."

2.7.6.7 Archival Resources and Collections: "If no date can be found in the
resource or determined from any other source, estimate the nearest year,
decade, century, or other interval as precisely as possible. Indicate that
the information was taken from a source outside the resource itself (see
2.2.4)."

2.2.4. Other Sources of Information: LC-PCC PS: "LC practice/PCC practice:
Use square brackets if information taken from a source outside a resource
itself is supplied in any of the elements listed."

-----------------------

Since the 2.7.6.2 SOI is ‘Any’, I would interpret that to would mean that if
you could not find the date in the resource, but could determine it from any
other source, you would enter it without square brackets. But if ‘61’ is
indeed the date of production, and is given on the resource that way, your
only option, as far as I can see is to enter it as given. Is it given as ’61
by any chance? If so, I would include that punctuation.

Date of Production (264_0$c): 61

Note on Production (500$a):  The date of production that is given on the
resource as “61” is actually 1961.

In MARC you would enter ‘1961’ as the 008Date1, and in most OPACs that is
the date that will display in lists.

Once we are out of MARC we will be able to set up our displays more easily
that we do now, and so could, if we choose, display a ‘Note on Production’
right after the Production Statement.

Personally, I rather like the idea of extending the optional addition
allowed for dates not of the Gregorian or Julian calendars and for
Chronograms, to incomplete dates (Date of Production: 61 [1961]). But if
that is not in line with the RDA thinking on this, then I would suggest the
following change to the last paragraph at 2.7.6.3, just to clarify matters:

Change:

“If the date as it appears in the resource is known to be fictitious or
incorrect, make a note giving the actual date (see 2.20.6.3).”

If the date as it appears in the resource is known to be fictitious,
incorrect, or incomplete, make a note giving the actual date (see 2.20.6.3).

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.

debo...@marcofquality.com