Heidrun said:

>My reasoning goes as follows: You do not have to supply the date,
>because in fact you know the year. The only problem is that it is
>written on the source of information in some kind of shorthand.

It does not matter to me, or patrons I suspect, whether one uses
$c[19]61. $c[1961] or $c1961.  It *is* important that the whole year
be there, since one should not have to wait for a note to know whether
it is 1761, 1861, or 1961.  A little pragmatism is in order  here!  To
transcribe "'61" as opposed to recording the whole year serves no
purpose.

For the rule bound, as Heidrun points out, this is a not a transcribed
element.  One does however normally bracket data not in the source.
e.g., imprint year when inferred from the copyright year, even though
the latter is in the source.