John Hostage wrote:

> I think what he meant was, what use is it to have access to the PSs if you
> can't see the rules they annotate without paying an arm and a leg.

The way Bernhard stated it gave the implication that there was something new in
regard to accessing LC policy.  But nothing has really changed:  access to LC
policy was free before (under AACR2), and it is still free now (under RDA).  In
both cases, there is also the need for separate access (not free) to the rules
themselves.  To be sure, the difference in cost between AACR2 and RDA is quite
substantial, and I do think it's a very regrettable situation that the ALA
budget seems to be so dependent upon the revenue from the cataloging rules.
Hopefully more affordable ancillary products will crop up eventually.  (And
hopefully the economics of RDA will change--maybe what must have been horrific
costs for the initial development of the RDA text and especially the Toolkit
will be paid off, and substantially lower subscription prices will be able to
support ongoing maintenance???)

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library