My students we just today complaining about the access to wires on the panel
mount breakers. The lug idea with separators might be a fix. It definitely
needs to be done differently. In class We added another inverter to our package
and trying to install another 175A breaker was a pain. We have a few other DC
breakers in there already. The whole cabinet is basically inaccessible.

Jesse Dahl

NABCEP PV Installation Professional
IBEW Local 292 - Electrician
Electrical/Solar PV Instructor - HCC

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 9:40 PM, Jerry Shafer <jerrysgarag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You might want to look at the square D QO breaker line some are dc rated and
> voltage rated and are panel mounted.
> Jerry
>

>> On Oct 10, 2016 3:00 PM, "jay" <jay.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I”ll chime in here.
>>
>> Yes the GSLC is a piece of junk.
>> However it is UL listed for the job. And while you could put together
>> something that would work with Airpax breakers together, but it wouldn’t be
>> UL.
>>
>> What I do is to swap out all the wires to Arctic ultra flex.  This allows
>> much better movement of the wires with significantly less stress on the
>> terminals.   And if you want to not attach wires to the back of the breakers
>> then you can and I’ve seen outback do it, install lay in lugs facing
>> outwards so you can use a screwdriver or allen key on them.  Allows for
>> installation and removal of wire without removal of the breaker or the
>> plate/breakers.  With thimbles of course. And I can’t find them but I know
>> they make them, shields that fit between each breaker so the lay in lugs are
>> insulated.
>>
>> jay
>> peltz power
>>

>>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 4:40 PM, William Miller <will...@millersolar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris:
>>>
>>> Thank you for the reply.  I think you misunderstand me.  We always use the
>>> GSLC cabinets.  I just don’t like the design concept that clutters the
>>> cabinet with AC and DC breakers that are difficult to access and block
>>> other components.  See photo below of a prewired GSLC Cabinet we were asked
>>> to work in.  Not a good scenario.
>>>
>>> We have created an installation standard using the GSLC that minimizes the
>>> problems inherent with the design.  We run all AC leads to adjacent load
>>> centers and we try to minimize the DC breakers in the cabinet.  It is our
>>> goal to completely eliminate all breakers from the removable dead-front.  I
>>> think it is pretty self-explanatory why one would not prefer to make
>>> connections in a hard to reach location.
>>>
>>> Our goal is to constantly improve our installation procedures to create
>>> better, safer and more efficient installations.
>>>
>>> Also, I don’t need someone to instruct me on how to make a “finished”
>>> looking install. If you are familiar with my work you know it is as clean
>>> as it gets.  Review my web site.  Below is but one example of one of our
>>> installs.
>>>
>>> And lastly, “suck it up” is not a very complimentary phrase.  Please, let’s
> [...]
>>> 264.235.5670